There are 85 million bicycle riders in the United States and the number is growing.
Under Washington State law, when riding on a roadway, a bicyclist has all rights and responsibilities of the driver of a car. (RCW 46.61.755). When a bicyclist is crossing within in a marked or unmarked crosswalk, all vehicles must stop and allow the bicyclist to cross. (RCW 46.61.235).
There is no state law requiring bicyclists to wear a helmet. However, some cities and counties do require helmets, including: Snohomish, Pierce and King Counties; Seattle and Tacoma.
Last year, about 540,000 bicyclists visited emergency rooms. Of those injured, approximately 67,000 had head injuries. More than 700 bicyclists died in accidents last year, two-thirds were from traumatic brain injury.
A bicycle-car accident can result in serious injuries, such as:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Head injuries
- Brain injuries
- Mental distress
Bicyclists injured in an accident with a car may be entitled to compensation for injuries and damages caused by the accident. You could be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages, past and future
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Household help while you are incapacitated
- Property damage
- And other items of damages.
If you or a loved one is injured in a bicycle accident, please contact The Farber Law Group immediately. You pay nothing unless we recover compensation for you.
- Bicyclist injured in Seattle accident A bicyclist was taken to Harborview Medical Center's trauma unit after he was hit by a car on Thursday around 1pm. The bicycle accident occurred on ....
- Bicyclist injured in crosswalk accident receives $600K settlement In reviewing settled cases, we came across the case of Gonzalez v. Bertacchi which was filed in Cook Co. Cir. Court in January of this year. In this ....
- Driver faces felony charges in fatal bicycle accident near Maple Falls Debra G. Peterson, 57, has been arrested for the hit and run accident that killed bicyclist Steven E. Waterman, 51, and injured Daniel G. McKay, 51, ....
- Bicyclist receives settlement for hit-and-run accident Joseph Tucker, 29, a bicyclist who was injured when he was struck by a hit-and-run driver while he rode his bicycle on a San Francisco street has ....
- Law student charged with hit-and-run and vehicular assault after running over bicycle trailer Timmy Nguyen, 23 and a Gonzaga University law student, faces serious charges of hit-and-run and vehicular assault in the Spokane car-bicycle accident ....
- Bicyclist faces felony vehicular homicide charges after fatal accident Prosecutors in San Francisco plan to charge Chris Bucchere, 36, with vehicular manslaughter after he was involved in a bicycle vs. pedestrian accident ....