Slip, trip and falls are common accidents that can result in serious injuries like broken bones, fractured hips, spinal cord injury, head trauma such as brain injury, herniated or bulging discs, shoulder injury, back injury and muscle and ligament injury. Often, the cause of accident is the negligence on the part of the property or business owner. The law states that the property or business owner must keep the property free from any hazard and in a reasonable and safe condition. Negligence arises when a home or business owner does not exercise proper caution and maintenance and in this case, they may be liable to compensate the injured person for their damages.
Hazards include, but are not exclusive to, the following:
- Failure to provide proper lighting
- Failure to remove trip hazards like wires, electrical cords and cables.
- Failure to provide proper and adequate hand rails as prescribed in building codes.
- Failure to eliminate wet flooring
- Failure to remove obstacles
- Failure to replace deteriorated or worn floor coverings or carpet
- Failure to place signs in dangerous areas
- Failure to repair sidewalks or fix potholes in parking lots
- Failure to keep a walkway clear of snow and ice
Most slip, trip and fall accidents occur in places like shopping centers, restaurants and parking lots.
Personal injury attorneys at The Farber Law Group routinely handle slip, trip and fall cases. If the property owner failed to maintain their premises in a reasonably safe manner, or failed to warn the public of an unsafe condition, then you may be entitled to compensation for your injury; Contact The Farber Law Group to discuss the merits of your case.