Bellevue, Washington Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, you may be seeking answers to your legal questions. The Farber Law Group, a personal injury attorney located in Bellevue, Washington, understands the trauma of a preventable accident. Herb Farber, the founder of The Farber Law Group, personally helps victims of drunk driving accidents throughout King County and Washington state. Contact us toll free at (800) 244-9087.Drunk driving accident statistics
Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), a non-profit organization that supports those affected by drunk driving and works towards eliminating drunk driving, provides the following drunk driving accident statistics gleaned from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- Every year, approximately 10,839 Americans will be killed in alcohol-related car accidents. That translates to one person every 50 minutes.
- Alcohol is a factor in up to 50% of automobile accidents.
- One in three Americans will be injured in a alcohol-related accident crash in their life time.
- Up to 75% of people who have had their driver's license suspended due to drunken driving continue to drive.
- Car accidents are the leading cause of death to teenagers and 30% of these crashes are alcohol-related.
- In 2010 in Washington state, there were 6,136 alcohol-involved motor vehicle accidents resulting in 163 fatalities and 449 serious injuries.
The city of Bellevue, Washington has seen an uptick in the number of drunk driving arrests and accidents in the past five years. As downtown Bellevue night life has become a social hub with hangout spots like Lucky Strike bowling, Munch Bar, Joey's, Lot No. 3, to name a few, the Bellevue police department has seen an increase in alcohol-related accidents and arrests both in the downtown areas and on the State Route 520 and Interstate 405.
When you are involved in a run-of-the-mill fender bender car accident with an unimpaired driver, you can often work with your insurance company to satisfy your claim. However, when you've been involved in a motor vehicle accident involving a drunk driver, claims are often more difficult because:
- Drunk drivers are often repeat offenders
- Drunk drivers often are driving without a valid driver's license
- Drunk drivers often are young and underinsured or uninsured
- Sometimes drunk driving accidents involve claims against bars or restaurants who over-served the driver.
Because of these issues, sometimes you cannot sue a drunk driver directly and you have to find their assets to satisfy a damage judgment. There are also may be other parties to the drunk driving accident claim including against the restaurant or bar who did the over serving.In car accident cases, when alcohol or drugs are involved, they are considered "aggravating" factors which increases a persons guilty or enormity of the consequences. While the drunk driver may face criminal charges, it is up to the victim to make a claim in civil court. If a drunk driver caused your accident you may also seen punitive damages, or damages which are meant to punish the wrong doer.A word about insurance companies
You should be aware that insurance adjusters seek to limit their company's liability. We recommend you do not speak to a representative of the insurance company or sign anything and refer any insurance company inquires to your attorney.Drunk driving accident resources
- Answers to Common Accident Questions
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)
- RID - Remove Intoxicated Drivers-USA
The Farber Law Group provides a FREE consultation to Bellevue victims of drunk driving accidents. Please contact us Toll Free at (800) 244-9087 or use our online contact form and we will get back to you. We will answer your questions without providing any pressure to sign.