One of the most traumatic experiences to any family is a serious injury to a child or the death of a child. Every year approximately 120,000 children suffer injuries which result in permanent damage including traumatic brain damage, breathing problems from smoke inhalation, disfigurement or kidney or liver damage through poisoning.
When a child is injured or killed due to a preventable accident, because of a dangerous product or through neglect, parents often need turn to the legal system for justice. A child injury lawyer's primary concern is your child's welfare and making sure their medical costs, educational and rehabilitation costs and future care is covered.Accidents That Injure Children
Every year world-wide approximately 830,000 children under the age of 18 die and millions of others are disabled due to preventable injuries. In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that there are approximately 2,800 child deaths involving children under the age of 14 from unintentional injury, not including car accidents. These include:
- Falls-- 30% of all fall-related accidents treated in Emergency Rooms involve injuries to children.
- Bicycling accidents-- nearly 300,000 children are treated for bicycling-related accidents every year. Nearly half of children hospitalized for traumatic brain injuries were injured in bicycling accidents.
- Swimming pool accidents-- drowning is the second leading cause of accidental death among children age one to 14. Many drownings occur in residential swimming pools.
- Obstructed airway and choking accidents-- suffocation and obstructed airway injuries are the leading cause of accidental death among children under the age of one.
- Gun accidents - approximately 500 children are killed every year due to accidental gunshots. The CDC estimates that 1.7 children live in a home with loaded and unlocked firearms.
- Fire or burn injuries - tens of thousands children suffer burn injuries every year and the leading cause of burn injuries are scalds and flame burns.
- Suffocation and choking fatalities
- Accidental poisoning
- Sports or school-related accidents
- Injuries caused by inadequate supervision
- Dog bites
When a child's injury is serious and leaves the child disabled, the family can hold the person or company responsible by filing a negligence lawsuit on the child's behalf. If your child's injury results in their death, Washington State has a wrongful death statute which allows parents to seek justice on behalf of their child.Law Firm Represents Injured Children and Their Families
If your child has been seriously injured in an accident that requires surgery, hospitalization or results in serious fractures, you might be seeking legal counsel. Even If you are unsure whether a lawsuit would be appropriate in your case, do not hesitate to contact us for answers to your questions. The Farber Law Group has more than 30 years experience representing seriously injured children in Washington State. Herbert G. Farber, the firm's founder, has three children, and he is compassionate, understanding and will support your family through this difficult time in your life.Contact a Seattle Child Injury Accident Attorney
Call us TOLL FREE at (800) 244-9087 or use our Contact Form. We will provide you with a Free, Confidential, and No Pressure consultation and begin to answer your questions.