Everett is the county seat for Snohomish county and is the sixth largest city in Washington State and the fourth largest in the Puget sound region. Located on the Puget Sound, its waterfront is at the mouth of the Snohomish River on Possession Sound. It is an All-America City with the second largest marina on the West Coast, an International deep-water commercial port and is home of the Boeing Assembly plant for 747, 767, 777 and 787 airplanes. One of the Boeing manufacturing buildings is the largest building in the world. It is also the home of the Naval Air Station at Everett and is the home port for the aircraft carrier, USS Abraham Lincoln.
Everett was incorporated in 1893 and was historically involved in fishing and the lumber industry. Now, the city is technology, aerospace and service-based. The city encompasses 32.5 square miles.The population is projected to be around 102,000 by the year 2010. It has the second highest crime rate in Washington after Tacoma.
From downtown Seattle, Everett is only a 28 mile drive north on Interstate 5. From downtown Bellevue, Everett is 31 miles north via Interstate 405 and the Interstate 5 From Everett, it is about 86 miles to the Canadian border.Highways
Everett is at the terminus of U.S. Route 2 which runs from west-east. You can access Everett via the major north-south highway on the west coast, Interstate 5. From Interstate 5 in Everett, motorists can drive north to Bellingham or south to Seattle.Schools
The city of Everett is served by the Everett School District which provides Everett, Cascade and Sequoia high schools. In addition, the Mukilteo School District provides Mariner High School which is located in unincorporated Snohomish County but has an Everett address.
Everett Community College offers associate two-year degrees, some bachelor's degree programs and distance learning. Western Washington University offers an extension program. ITT Technical University, City University, Ashmead College and Bryman College all have branches in Everett.Major Employers
Everett is certainly a Boeing "company town" with approximately 2,300 employees but there are other companies that also have a presence in the city, including:
- Fluke Electronic Instruments
- Providence Regional Medical Center
- Naval Station Everett
- Kimberly Clark
- Comcast Arena
- Everett Mall
- Future of Flight Aviation Center & Boeing Tour
- Imagine Children's Museum
- Performing Arts Center - Village Theater
- Everett Marina
- Everett Farmer's Market
- Waterfront Concert Series
- More than 40 parks including the 137 acre Walter E. Hall park, the 111 acre Forest park 111 acres, 96-acre Langus Riverfront Park 96 acres.
- Jetty island - 2 mile man-made island large sandy beaches for day use.
- Nishiyama Garden - traditional Japanese garden at Everett Community college.
- Evergreen Arboretum & Gardens
- City of Everett - http://www.everettwa.org/
- Port of Everett - http://www.portofeverett.com/
- Everett Open Directory Project - http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/North_America/United_States/Washington/Localities/E/Everett/
- Everett Chamber of Commerce - http://www.everettchamber.com/