Federal Way is situated between Seattle and Tacoma along the Interstate 5 corridor with Puget Sound to its west and Mount Rainier to the east. Originally a logging settlement, it is home to Weyerhaeuser, one of the largest pulp and paper companies.
Located on Puget Sound on its west side, Federal Way is south of Des Moines, west of Kent, Milton, Auburn and unincorporated King County and north of Tacoma and Fife. It is located about 25 miles south of downtown Seattle via the Interstate 5 and 25 miles southwest of Bellevue. Federal way is approximately 13 miles northeast of the Tacoma and Commencement Bay.
Incorporated in in 1990, Federal Way has a population of around 83,259 and is 21.1 square miles in size.Highways
Federal Way is located along the Interstate-5 highway, the major north-south route of the western United States. State Route 99 also runs through Federal Way and one can take it south to Fife or north all the way to Everett.Schools
The Federal Way Public Schools serve all of Federal Way and part of Kent, Des Moines and unincorporated King County. It provides five high schools and one internet academy. These are: Decatur, Federal Way, Thomas Jefferson, Todd Beamer and Truman.Employers
- Wild Waves Theme Park
- Redondo Beach - on the Puget Sound
- Dash Point State Park - 397 acres which includes beachcombing on the Puget Sound.
- Celebration Park
- Knutzen Family Theater - a 234 seat arts center.
- Botanical Garden Rhododendron Species Foundation & Botanical Garden
- Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection
- City of Federal Way - http://www.cityoffederalway.com/
- Federal Way Chamber of Commerce - http://www.federalwaychamber.com/
- The Historical Society of Federal Way - http://www.federalwayhistory.org/
- Federal Way Open Directory Project - http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/North_America/United_States/Washington/Localities/F/Federal_Way//
- Visit Federal Way Washington - http://www.federalway.org/