Harborview Level I Trauma Center - Seattle
Harborview Medical Center is located in Seattle's First Hill neighborhood. Near downtown, this neighborhood is bounded on the west by Interstate 5. There are two other health care facilities located in the neighborhood: Swedish Medical Center and Virginia Mason Medical Center.
Besides being a Trauma I hospital, Harborview has the following Centers of Emphasis:
- Burn Center -- one of the largest burn treatment centers in the United States, treating more than 15,000 patients since 1974.
- Center for Sexual Assault and Traumatic Stress -- provides treatment and other services for sexual assault victims.
- Neuroscience -- department treats patients with traumatic brain injuries and diagnoses and treats patients with disorders of the brain and spinal cord, peripheral nerves and patients who have head and spinal cord injuries due to accidents, strokes, brain tumors, spinal disc herniation and degenerative disc disease.
- Center for Advanced Reconstruction & Rehabilitation (CARER) -- provides treatment to severely injured persons with complex and multi-system injuries, patients with congenital defects and people suffering from illness or disease. Services provided include Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Otolaryngology, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Rehabilitation medicine and Social Work.
- Orthopedics Services -- recognized nationally, the orthopedics services treats patients from all over the Pacific Northwest for orthopedic conditions including deformities due to genetic disorders and people who have serious injuries due to accidents.
- Patient and Family Resource Center -- provides support, education and other services for patients and families including brain injury support groups, wellness workshops and safety resources.
- Addictions, Mental Illness, Medically Vulnerable - is a statewide system that tracks co-morbid conditions of addictions and mental illness.
- AIDS/STD -provides medical care and social services to people with AIDS/STD and is nationally recognized for research in the field.