Lost or Unsecured Load Motor Vehicle and Truck Accidents
Cargo that falls off a tractor-trailer, truck bed or from atop a vehicle can cause serious accidents and injuries to other drivers and their passengers. If you have been seriously injured or disabled due to a vehicle, including a pickup truck, semi truck or SUV, that has lost a load on the highway or from someone dropping something on the highway from a overpass, you may be seeking answers to your legal questions. The Farber Law Group, a Bellevue car accident law practice, may be of help to you.Lost or Unsecured Loads
Imagine travelling down the highway of speeds up to 65 miles per hour and suddenly a heavy object comes crashing through your windshield, or suddenly there is a couch, refrigerator or other piece of furniture in your roadway. Unfortunately, this occurs all too frequently when drivers fail to properly secure loads that they are carrying.
The Washington State Patrol estimates that there are 400 motor vehicle accidents in our state every year caused by unsecured loads. The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety estimates are even higher with estimates of 25,000 accidents a year nation-wide resulting in 100 deaths.
Many driver do not realize that when they load objects into their pickup trucks that even heavy objects can become loose and go flying into traffic, often causing disastrous results as the object flies through a windshield or as motorists try to avoid the object.
Victims of these types of accidents can suffer serious head and facial injuries.
The Farber Law Group has followed several such accidents including:
- An accident in which a Bellevue couple who narrowly missed injury when an unsecured pickax came flying through their windshield on Interstate 405.
- An accident in which an infant belonging to a College Place couple was killed when a pickup truck rear-ended the vehicle he was riding in because it had slowed due to a pickup truck losing a cooler.
- An accident in which a Bainbridge Island man was killed when a fishing boat on a trailer became unhitched and hit his SUV.
- An accident in which Maria Federici was blinded and suffered head injuries after a piece of furniture fell from a U-Haul trailer and hit her vehicle while she was driving in Seattle.
- An accident in which a Kirkland woman was terrified after a load from the back of a pickup truck flew and caused substantial damage to her car on Interstate 5 near Marysville.
- An accident in which an Edmonds man narrowly missed injury when a steel rod impaled his windshield on Interstate 5 near Boeing Field.
Washington vehicle code RCW 46.61.655 "Dropping Load, Other Materials -- Covering" holds that a person who does not secure a load may be found guilty of first degree criminal negligence or a second degree misdemeanor.Experienced Washington Unsecured Load Lawyer
Attorney Herbert Farber can help you bring a claim for any type of cargo or trailers that are improperly secured including:
- Scrap metal
- Construction materials
- Truck tire recaps
- Camper shells
- Landscaping or lawn mowing equipment
- Trailers carrying boats
- Any load that was haphazardly thrown into the back of a pickup truck.
No matter what caused your motor vehicle accident, attorney Farber will help you understand your options and help you file a claim against the driver responsible for your accident.Compensation for Seattle, Washington Unsecured Load Truck Accidents
Herbert Farber, of The Farber Law Group, has more than 30 years experience securing compensation for his injured clients including for medical expenses, lost wages and for pain and suffering.
If you have suffered serious injures due to a truck accident or by an unsecured load or truck debris, contact The Farber Law Group at 1-800-244-9087 or use our Contact Form.