Most of us are pedestrians at one time or another every day. Unfortunately, not all drivers observe the rules of the road governing rights-of-way at crosswalks, stoplights, or stop signs.
According to the National Safety Council, more than 100,000 pedestrians were injured and approximately 5,900 pedestrians were killed by drivers of cars last year. Statistically, young children and the elderly are more likely to be killed or injured in a pedestrian accident.
Washington state laws give pedestrians the right of way and drivers of cars must stop to allow pedestrians and bicycles to cross the road within a marked or unmarked crosswalk.
A legal crosswalk exists at every location where roads intersect and every crosswalk is a crosswalk even if not marked as one.
Many pedestrian accidents are caused by the negligence of the driver of a car. Some of the causes are the driver's:
- failure to yield the right-of-way
- failure to stop at a marked or unmarked crosswalk
- failure to come to a complete stop at a stop sign or traffic light
- failure to stop before turning right on red at an intersection
- failure to provide enough room for pedestrians or bicyclists on a street or road
- failure to keep a proper lookout
- drunk driving
- inattentive driving (including using a cell phone)
- reckless driving
- broken traffic lights
- poorly timed traffic lights which do not allow a pedestrian enough time to cross the street
- poorly maintained or designed crosswalks
- insufficient lighting
- improper crosswalk design or poorly placed crosswalk
- confusing or missing signage
- worn or missing pavement striping
- raised or broken concrete
- dislocated shoulders and hips
- spinal cord injuries
- traumatic brain injuries
- bone fractures
- tissue and degloving injuries
If you or a loved one was a pedestrian and was injured in an accident, contact The Farber Law Group immediately. Our firm understands the trauma that accident victims go through and we work hard to insure that you will suffer no financial hardship because of an accident caused by the negligence of another. Call us TOLL FREE at 1-800-244-9087.
Make sure you gather all important contact information from all bystanders at the scene of the accident.
Don't be misled by an insurance company's promise to help you. They have their best interest at heart not yours.
If you are unable to come to our office, we can come to see you.