Puyallup is a city in Pierce County, Washington located in the Puyallup River Valley. The town has a southeast view of Mt. Rainier which rises prominently above the landscape. The town was named after the Puyallup Indian tribe.
The city, which had its roots in agriculture, grew very slowly from 1900 until the 1970's. The 2000 census estimated the population to be 33,011 in 12.2 square miles. The city is the home of the largest county fair in Washington, with one million visitors a year to the Western Washington Fairgrounds. The Puyallup Fair is one of the ten largest fairs in the country.
Puyallup is located 10 miles east of Tacoma, 35 miles south of Seattle and 35 miles southeast of Bellevue. Bordered by unincorporated Pierce County, neighboring cities are Sumner (northeast), Fife and Edgewood (north), Tacoma (northwest), Summit and Midland (west), Graham (south), McMillin and Orting (southeast) and Alderton (east).Highways
Puyallup is situated at the junction of State Route 167 (known as the "Valley Freeway) and Highway 512. Both provide easy access to Interstate 5, the major north-south highway on the West Coast. SR 167 also intersects Interstate 405 in Renton.
The Puyallup School District educates 20 thousand students and is the 9th largest district in Washington State. It has four high schools:
Pierce College College District 11 provides two community colleges and an extended learning program with one campus in Puyallup.Attractions
- Ezra Meeker Mansion
- Downtown shipping district with many historic buildings
- Pioneer Park - town center
- Pierce County Foothills Trail
- Puyallup Fair - largest annual state fair in Washington
- Puyallup Antique District Association
- Paul H Karshner Memorial Museum - museum of history, cultures and habitats.
- Farmers' Market in Pioneer Park - May to October
- South Hill Mall
- City of Puyallup - http://www.cityofpuyallup.org/
- Puyallup/Sumner Chamber of Commerce - http://www.puyallupsumnerchamber.com/
- Puyallup Main Street Association - http://www.puyallupmainstreet.com/
- Puyallup Herald - http://www.puyallupherald.com/
- Puyallup Tribe of Indians - http://www.puyallup-tribe.com/