Have You Been the Victim of a Botched Surgery?
One of the most common types of medical malpractice in the United States and in the State of Washington is surgical malpractice, medical malpractice by a surgeon or malpractice in the course of surgery.
Malpractice in the course of surgery takes many forms:
- Failure to diagnose a particular disorder, making an incorrect diagnosis or unreasonably delaying a diagnosis. A majority of medical malpractice cases involve diagnostic errors. Examples of misdiagnosis are found primarily in breast cancer, lung cancer, colon and rectal cancer, heart attacks and appendicitis.
- Anesthesia used in surgery results in more medical malpractice cases than does the actual surgery. Errors due to anesthesia can be caused by equipment failures, incorrect choice or dosage of a drug used in an IV, and accidental injections or leakage of fluid into tissue surrounding the area of an IV injection.
- Surgical errors result in thousands of injuries every year. Surgical errors may be caused by poor pre-operative planning, incorrect or wrong site incisions, or unreasonably prolonged surgery.
- Infections occur in every hospital and clinic in the United States. Post-surgery infections vary depending upon the procedure, surgeon and hospital or clinic. Post-operative infections are caused by improper surgical procedures, a failure to establish proper guidelines, a lack of careful infection control, use of unsterile equipment, and improper choice, usage or dosage of antibiotics.
Surgical malpractice is caused by several factors, including a lack of knowledge, inexperience, a lack of preparation, miscommunication, fatigue, haste, or just plain negligence.
A surgery gone wrong can result in:
- Severe pain and suffering, including future and prolonged injury and disability.
- A loss of wages or other income, including future or permanent loss of earning capacity.
- Permanent disability.
If you are the victim of a botched surgery, contact The Farber Law Group. At The Farber Law Group, we are experienced in representing the victims of negligent doctors and other health care providers and in helping victims recover compensation for your injuries, or those of a loved one.
Please contact us for a free consultation.