When Should I Report a Boating Accident?

If you are involved in a boating accident, you must report the accident to the local authorities (sheriff or police department) in the following instances:
  • Loss of life
  • Injury that requires medical attention beyond first aid
  • Disappearance of someone participating in a boating activity
  • Damage to a boat or property (i.e., dock) that is $500 or more
  • Complete loss of a boat
In addition, you should contact local authorities in the following instances:
  • You observe someone operating a boat at an unsafe speed
  • You observe someone operating a boat while intoxicated
The Farber Law Group is experienced with maritime law and other Washington State laws as they relate to injuries you may have suffered as a result of a boating accident. In the case of a fatal boating accident, the family is entitled to compensation for the loss of a loved one. Contact The Farber Law Group for a free consultation, with over 30 years of experience in the Pacific Northwest, we are here to help you.