Yakima is an All-America city located in south-central Washington State in the lush Yakima valley where the Naches & Yakima Rivers join. It is the county seat of Yakima county. Known for its agriculture, Yakima grows 75% of all the hops in the United States. With its 300 days of sunshine and fertile soil, it is a veritable fruit bowl growing apples, cherries, pears, mint and other fresh produce. The area also has burgeoning an award-winning wine industry with 50 wineries and 11,000 acres of grapes.
The region also produces forest products, raises livestock and produces dairy products. It also has a manufacturing sector building aircraft parts and supplies and machinery used in food product packaging.
With its sunny climate, and its proximity to two rivers, it is a popular tourist and recreation spot. It also has an active sporting community with several minor league sports teams. Yakima was incorporated in 8183 and is 20.6 square miles in size with a population of approximately 84,000 with a metro population of 230,000.Location
Yakima is located 35 miles south of Ellensburg via I-82/US-97. The city is 145 miles southeast of Seattle via the I-82/US-97 to I-90 and 134 miles southeast of Bellevue via the same highways. Yakima is 185 north-east of Portland, Oregon.Highways
Roadways serving the Yakima area include Interstate 82, U.S. Highways 9 and 12, and State Route 24. Interstate 82 is primary means of reaching Yakima and joins with US Route 97 at Ellensburg.Schools
The Yakima School District is the school district for the city operating primarily in the city boundaries and is the 18th largest district in Washington State. It has these high schools: A.C Davis High, DD Eisenhower High, Alternative School/Stanton Academy, Y.V. Tech and Career & Technical Education.
Higher education in Yakima includes Yakima Valley Community College and the Yakima branch of WSU. The JM Perry Technical Institute provides specialized training in refrigeration, machine, graphic, electrical and telecommunication technology. The Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences is the first new medical school in the Pacific Northwest in sixty years and it provides a osteopathic emphasis and has emphasis of providing medically for under-served areas.Attractions
- Yakima Valley Musuem - geology & history -
- Yakima Valley Trolleys - 5 miles in length historical/educational trip vintage rail transit
- Seasons Performance Hall - presents two jazz and classical festivals each year.
- Yakima Symphony Orchestra
- Yakima Area Arboretum - living museum and botanical garden.
- Yakima Sundome in State Fair ParkWine - sports venue
- Yakima Valley - tour to Yakima wine region.
- Yakima Valley Living - guide to the Yakima valley.
- Central Washington State Fair
- Yakima Mavericks - minor league football
- Yakima Sun Kings - minor league basketball
- Yakima Bears - minor league baseball
- Yakima Reds - soccer club
- Yakima Speedway - stock car racing